Saturday, January 12, 2013

White Bean Falafel with a secret...

The secret ingredient is...OATMEAL!


The kids find most falafel too spicy.  Sometimes we buy the Trader Joe's frozen falafel but we are out and I wanted to make something different for dinner.

But of course I also discovered I ran out of chickpeas (what?! We always have beans on hand!), and chickpeas are the ONE thing you really need to make falafel.  So I had to make the best of it and I made up this recipe on a whim just to see what would happen.

It turned out great and my 3 year old and 16 month old both ate some.  Success!

Anyway, here is what I did:

1 can of Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed *or any white bean, or I would imagine chickpeas!
1 c. Oatmeal (dry)
3 TBSP Hummus
Spices of choice (I used garlic powder, salt and oregano)
Sesame Seeds

Combine all except sesame seeds in a large bowl and squish up until it forms a dough and there are no visible beans (I wear latex gloves to make it less messy for me)

Refrigerate "dough" for at least an hour

Heat oven to 400

In a large frying pan, put a little olive oil (no more than 1 TBSP) and spread it around with a silicone brush or a paper towel before the pan gets hot

Roll dough into 1/2 inch balls and roll in sesame seeds, then flatten very thin in your palm

Fry on each side until golden brown (about 5 min. each side)
Finish in oven on a baking sheet to crisp them further and keep them warm 5-10 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment