Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fresh Almond Milk - All nutrients, no additivies!

B. (my little one) has been enjoying having cold cereal for breakfast so I wanted to give him an alternative to commercial sugary Soy Milk.

Most commercial milk alternatives have lots of additives, so I took a shot at making my own raw almond milk and it turned out great!  It has a natural sweetness to it, but you could add some sweetener if you choose, but I'd wait until you try it plain first, especially if you're using it on cereal.  B.'s cereal is sweet enough that it sweetens the milk (he LOVES Shredded Spoonfuls cereal)

B. had some with no complaint, and I guess that says a lot coming from toddler who is used to Vanilla Soy Milk!

Raw Almond Milk
  • 1 cup soaked almonds (Soak in a bowl in the refrigerator overnight and rinse before using, this step is essential for it to turn out right - it makes the almonds plump and softer) - I got my raw almonds at Trader Joe's
  • 3 cups water
  • Blender - We have a high speed Vitamix blender, which is awesome
To make raw almond milk blend the soaked almonds with the water until smooth.
Then strain the mixture through strainer into a big bowl.

(Save the almond pulp in a container and put in the refrigerator for later use in baking cookies, adding to pancakes, etc.)

This milk will last in the refrigerator for about 3-5 days. Shake well before using.

This recipe makes enough almond milk for about 3 full bowls of cereal
(The glass is unused milk we had left over after both B. and I had enough almond milk for a bowl of cereal each)

No comments:

Post a Comment