Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sweet Potato 'Mac n Cheese'

We got our first Produce Box today and I tried to use as much of it as I could for dinner.

I used ALL of the lettuce and some of the cucumber and tomato for BIG salads for both of us adults, and I used a sweet potato to create this creamy, sweet and pretty sauce for some penne.  I served it alongside some broccoli we had.

Next time, I think I'll puree in some white beans to up the nutrients, but as is, it's very good.  And quick to whip up in a hurry.  I think it took me 15 min. total to create the pasta part of tonight's dinner!




I didn't measure the ingredients, but these are the basics:

1 Large Sweet Potato, pierced and microwaved until soft, let cool, then remove skin

Cook pasta (we used 1/2 box of Penne, making about 3 adult servings)

In a Vita-Mix or other high powered blender, add:

Sweet Potato (cooked, skin removed)
1/2 c. Nutritional Yeast (or more to taste)
Salt, Pepper
Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Oregano
2 TBSP Earth Balance (or butter)
2 c. PLAIN Soy Milk or other non-sweet milk

Blend, then pour over cooked pasta, stir

You won't fool anyone that this is dairy mac n cheese but it's pretty tasty and when I let Little B. taste some sauce off the spoon he smiled REALLY big and ask for more "tato", so he knew it was sweet potato, but knew it was yummy!


Toddler approved!

3 comments:

  1. 6 cups flour (any kind)
    6 cups nutritional yeast flakes
    4 T. salt
    2 T. onion powder
    2 T. chili powder
    1 T. garlic powder
    1 T. dry ground mustard

    this makes a TON. i keep it in a container and use as needed. 1 cup of mix with 2 cups of rice milk (dairy and soy free here, but any milk will do) and 1 box of pasta makes mac and cheese. i add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for some added spice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. obviously that is my recipe. you asked about it in the cheesy kale post. i noticed my original comment here didn't post though.

    ReplyDelete